La Pointe des Almadies in Dakar
There is no shortage of things to keep people busy in Dakar when they are visiting Senegal. Here are is my list of the top 5 things to do in Dakar:
1. Take a ferry to the Ile de Goree. The beautiful architecture and rich history of the island make it one of the top places to visit when you are in Dakar. The ferry ride is another highlight, as it offers passengers great views of both the city and the Ile de Goree.
2. Go to the westernmost point in Africa. La Pointe des Almadies is as far west as you can get on the continent. There is a great beach there from which you can watch the sunset, and the sand is lined with plenty of restaurants, cafes, and souvenir shops. Going to the Pointe des Almadies is not only one of the top 5 things to do in Dakar, but one of the top things to do in all of Africa.
3. Take a day trip to Lac Rose. Not far from Dakar is the famous pink lake, which is so named because in a certain light the water looks rose colored. Visitors can go there for lunch, participate in adventure sports, or go shopping at the craft stalls by the water’s edge.
4. Experience the nightlife in Dakar. The city has some of the best nightlife in West Africa, and no trip is complete without a visit to a bar or club. Dakar also has a vibrant music scene, and going to a live show is a great way to experience the Senegalese culture.
5. Take a day trip to the Village des Tortues. The turtle conservation center is a great place to see large and small turtles alike. It is located near Lac Rose, and can easily be combined with the lake on a day trip. Visiting the two destinations is definitely one of the top 5 things to do in Dakar.