Boat in Lamu
Despite being a small island, there is plenty to do and see in Lamu. Whatever your tastes and interests, you can find something you enjoy. To help you decide how to spend your time while you are visiting, below is my list of the top 10 things to do in Lamu.
10. Walk through the pleasant lanes of the picturesque town of Shela on Lamu island
9. Go to a local Kenyan dance show performance in the evening on Manda island
8. Drink sundowners at the Peponi Hotel (just beware of the unfriendly staff!)
7. Go shopping for souvenirs, gifts, and local handicrafts in Lamu Town
6. Go fishing for yellowfin, sailfish, red snapper, and other local fish
5. Get lost in the tiny alleys of Lamu Town
4. Take a dhow cruise at sunset
3. Eat a rooftop dinner of Hot and Spicy Crab at the Baitil Aman Guest House in Shela
2. Take a day-long snorkeling trip in a dhow
1. Walk along the beautiful Shela beach
Malindi airport serves flights to Malindi from other cities in Kenya.
These include Nairobi, Lamu, and Mombasa airports.
Malindi airport is more of an airstrip than an airport, so there is not much to it.
However, it does have a permanent building with small shops, vending machines, and indoor waiting areas.
All of these things make Malindi airport a bit more comfortable for people visiting Kenya.
Malindi airport is located near the beaches and close to most resorts.
This makes it easy to get from the airstrip to your final destination in Malindi.
Manda Airstrip, or Lamu Airport
Lamu Airport is a small airstrip that serves flights to Lamu from Nairobi, Malindi, and Mombasa. The airport is located on Manda island just across the channel from Lamu Town.
Facilities are very basic and include bathrooms and a small duty free shop.
When your flight to Lamu arrives at Lamu airport, your hotel can arrange a boat or you can get a private boat transfer to Lamu island.
Even if you don’t book ahead, there are plenty of willing boat operators at the airport when every flight lands, so don’t worry about not finding transportation to Lamu.
Lamu airport is in the process of being modernized, and there is currently a building project under way to construct a more permanent structure.