Kenya has no shortage of places to visit. With so much variation in its geography, there are a lot of spectacular areas in the country. Here are what I consider to be the top 5 places to visit in Kenya:
1. Masai Mara – Famous for its safaris, the Masai Mara is one of the most popular places to visit in Kenya. Visitors can stay in a safari lodge and go on game drives to see lions, elephants, giraffes, rhinos, hippos, and other African game. If you are visiting Kenya during the annual wildebeest migration, you can see thousands of the animals make their yearly crossing from Tanzania into Kenya and back.
2. Lamu – Lamu Island is one of the most popular places for beach holidays in Kenya. The beautiful isle in the Indian Ocean is a great place for fishing, diving, dhow cruises, and relaxing in the sun. Visitors to Lamu can stay in Lamu Town, Shela, or on neighboring Manda Island.
3. Mombasa – Like Lamu, Mombasa is a great location for beach holidays in Kenya. Popular with visitors and locals alike, it is one of the top 5 places to visit in Kenya. Mombasa is famous for its beautiful beaches as well as its historic Arab-influenced old town and famous sixteenth century Fort Jesus.
4. Nairobi – Most people that visit Kenya skip the capital. It is worth spending a day or two in Nairobi, though, as the city is home to attractions like the Giraffe Centre, the Elephant Orphanage, the Karen Blixen House, and the Mamba Village. Visitors can also go on safari in Nairobi National Park, take tours of the Mathare slum, and visit local markets and museums. The capital is also home to famous restaurants like Carnivore and Talisman, which serve some of the best food in the country.
5. Rift Valley – Located close to Nairobi, the Rift Valley is one of the top 5 places to visit in Kenya. Home to attractions like Lake Naivasha, Lake Nakuru, and Hell’s Gate National Park, the area is full of beautiful natural monuments and is a great place for adventure travel in Kenya.